Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Old and the New!

I love old things. But there comes a point when some things just get" TOO OLD."That would be our grill. Sometimes J has a hard time parting with things. I remember when we were first married, he loved to collect frozen OJ containers. He would use them to collect bacon grease. The problem was we had a cabinet full and it would have taken us, oh, about 20 yrs to use them all up.

For him, it's like a game. (I think) Let's see how long we can keep something going.We really get our moneys worth. The children were so ready to buy him and surprise him with this new grill. Now, I don't mind the boys starting it up. I don't have to be afraid that it will EXPLODE or BURN their HAIR.
Seriously, I am grateful for a man who desires to be a good steward of what the Lord has given him. But I know he is truly going to enjoy his NEW grill!!!

4 comments:

charlestonyaya said...

OH MY!!! I just did not realize that our two men had this bizarre trait in common!! Do you have any idea how long it takes us to get David to buy something new to replace something that is old, worn out and doesn't even work anymore?? He really believes that things made today - appliances, etc. should last as long as the well-made items of our parents era. Totally makes us crazy here - so we just have to go out, replace and surprise. love ya, K
Happy Grilling!!

The Via Colony said...

Wow, it was def. time=) Congrats on the new addition!

Mom_E said...

My J is exactly the same way. He has saved so many glass jars over the years that when in Ga. I finally gave him a shelf in the kitchen and we agreed that when it was full, the rest would be recycled.....well, I discovered later that he was "recycling" them himself in the basement! When we moved I found bags full of them (they went in the trash)!

Seriously, though, it is a wonderful trait to always fix things and use it until it is worn out. J got the trait from his dad, who grew up in the Depression. We always laugh at how and when the trait crops up, though! And until J's mom bought us a grill, our old one looked similar to your old one!

Have a good day,

Sarah

Technonana said...

Oh Girlfriend!!! I am so glad you made that excellent decision!! and where he will admit it or not so is he!!!
What strange creatures we humans are!!